Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Fox Caught In Sharpton's Snare

I never thought the day would come when I would side with Al Sharpton but here it is.


MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Attempts by Mexican President Vicente Fox to play down a comment widely perceived as racist have further offended U.S. blacks and threaten to harm race relations, U.S. civil-rights activist Al Sharpton said after meeting the Mexican leader on Monday.

Calling for Fox to issue an apology after meeting he described as "blunt," the one-time candidate for the Democratic presidential nomination said on Monday the comments had caused "outrage" among U.S. blacks.

Fox, a former Coca-Cola executive, angered the U.S. government and civil-rights leaders when he said in a speech 10 days ago that Mexican immigrants do jobs "that not even blacks want to do there in the United States."

Fox has since refused to apologize and said his comments were misinterpreted.

"There was no misinterpretation. It is very clear what he said and it is very clear that we understood what he said," Sharpton told reporters.

"If I step on your toe, I should apologize. I should not say that I regret that you think your foot hurts," Sharpton said."It has increased a sense of discomfort that we do not need, I think that Mexicans and African Americans and Latino Americans need to be on the same side," he said.

From My Way News.

3 comments:

loboinok said...

And Bush stands by and lets Fox run all over him! Sharpton is right this time! Good post!

Stacy said...

Bush and Fox cut a deal years ago. Do I know this for sure? No, but all of the evidence points towards it. I love our President but this is an issue that could destroy his legacy and he needs to recognize it.

BobG said...

Are you suggesting...conspiracy Stacy?