Thursday, December 15, 2005

Freedom Of, Not Freedom From

Earlier this month, U.S. Rep. Gresham Barrett, R-S.C. filed legislation that he says will protect elected and appointed officials who want to pray in public.

"All we're doing is trying to clarify what the Constitution of the United States says," Barrett said. "What the Constitution says is 'freedom of religion,' not 'freedom from religion.'"

"Just because I'm a public official doesn't mean I'm not a citizen of the United States and protected under the Constitution of the United States," stated Barrett.

“What the Constitution says is you don’t have to believe as I believe. Any public official can stand up and pray. If he wants to be inclusive, fine. If he wants to be specific, fine,” Barrett said.

This certainly sounds reasonable, why should I have to abdicate my beliefs as a human being, my rights endowed by my creator in order to serve as a public official. Telling me how and where I can pray violates my freedoms of religion and free speech.

But, this is not good enough for the ACLU. One of their minions in South Carolina, Mike Cubello, says,"it's clearly unconstitutional. It disrespects people of other religions."

I'm sure Mike and the rest of the ACLU are deeply concerned about the sensitivities of religious folks. But,I missed the disrespecting of other religions clause in the constitution. When someone put the crucifix in urine and called it art, I assumed we were blessing disrespect of religion as part of our free speech. At that time the ACLU went to court to protect the right to disrespect Christianity. Is this one of those hypocritical stances by the ACLU...again!

According to a biography of Cubelo, he does not attend church and spends Sunday morning with the New York Times. It sounds very much like those who have disdain for organized religion and adore the pseudo-intellectual ramblings of the liberal elite, pushing tyranny by the minority once again.

Where is the disrepect in allowing each person to pray as they deem appropriate? What happened to the concept of displaying polite reverence for someone elses faith? As Barrett said, about those who hold beliefs different than his, "I would hope that they would be tolerant of me because I would certainly be tolerant of them."

This was a production of Stop The ACLU Blogburst. If you would like to join us, please email Jay at Jay@stoptheaclu.com or Gribbit at GribbitR@gmail.com. You will be added to our mailing list and blogroll. Over 115 blogs already onboard.




No comments: