Sunday, March 20, 2005

Selling Out Americans

Fox News has a piece on illegals and the economy.

Speaking about nannies in LA: Women from the poorest corners of the world come to work in the city as nannies and housemaids. Nannies and other laborers work hard at a wage that has many businesses openly employing illegal immigrants including contractor Charlie D'Agostino.

"People aren't going to pay more for an American than a Mexican, just because they're American. I pay on ability," D'Agostino said. "All my workers get paid fair wage for their ability. I'm not going to pay $25 an hour to build a ditch. I'll get a $10 an hour guy to do that. So you pick your skilled labor and unskilled."

He added: "Other people that can better themselves by coming here and I think they deserve a chance too. We're all immigrants. Everybody is an immigrant."

Is that so Charlie? I was born here, so I'm not an immigrant. Do not redefine terms and words to pose an arguement that makes your business more profitable and makes you feel good about yourself. If you are employing illegals you are the kind of scum that we need to root out and prosecute. Twisting word definitions and spurious arguments do not apply a veneer of respectability to what you really are and how you are helping to destroy our nation.

"I'm not opposed to bringing people into this country for the 'jobs no American will take,' but you have they have to prove to me that there are really those jobs that exist," said Rep. Tom Tancredo, R - Colo.

Unemployed Americans are numbered at 7.7 million; if illegal immigration ended tomorrow, it's questionable whether the unemployed will rush out to pick lettuce and, if they do, what the cost will be at the market.

"I just don't see that and I think using agricultural workers is a pretty good example of an industry or a whole classification of jobs that American workers aren't lining up to take," said Farrell Quinlan of the Arizona Chamber of Commerce.

Well, I didn't know there were a lot of choices when you're unemployed. We can fix that.

No comments: