Saturday, August 13, 2005

State Of Emergency Declared By New Mexico's Governor

Why doesn't Bill Richardson call out the National Guard? Why does he say he's been reluctant to take steps to protect his fellow citizens? What spirit of understanding and cooperation are the Mexicans referring to? Is it that they ship their drugs and unwanted citizens over here and we get to grin and bear it? Those days are about to be over, muchachos. When an Hispanic, democrat governor has to call a state of emergency because things are so bad at the border of his state you can bet things are about to heat up.


New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson declared a state of emergency Friday in four counties along the Mexican border that he said have been "devastated" by crimes such as the smuggling of drugs and illegal immigrants.

The declaration said the region "has been devastated by the ravages and terror of human smuggling, drug smuggling, kidnapping, murder, destruction of property and the death of livestock.

The Mexican government issued a statement in which it acknowledged the problems along the border, but said it continues to make consistent efforts to target them along with U.S. authorities.

It said some of Richardson's views stem from "generalizations that do not correspond to the spirit of cooperation and understanding that are required for dealing with problems of common concern along the border."

"My people on my side asked me to take this step, and I've done so reluctantly," Richardson told CNN. "As governor, I have to protect the people I represent."

He noted he is the nation's only Hispanic governor, and "we're a state that's been very good to legal migrants. ... This action, I believe, had to be taken."

Comlete article at CNN.

2 comments:

TheBitterAmerican said...

Bob,..picked that up from Gina,...my question is this: if Richardson is governor and has the New Mexican National Guard at his disposal, why isn't he posting them on the border??
This isn't just about stolen cattle, this is a national security issue.

BobG said...

The first thing I asked on my post was, "Why doesn't Bill Richardson call out the National Guard." You're correct, that is certainly within his power. Why does he describe himself as reluctant?
I hadn't seen Gina's post but I'm glad this is being broadcasted.